The Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

The Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is a vital document for anyone planning to live in Japan for an extended period. By understanding the application process and its significance, you can ensure a smooth transition to life in Japan.

Jun 23, 2024 - 15:35
Jun 22, 2024 - 15:46
The Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

When planning to live in Japan for an extended period, whether for work, study, or family reasons, one crucial document you'll need is the Certificate of Eligibility (COE). This document is essential for obtaining a visa and entering Japan legally. Here’s a comprehensive guide to understanding what the COE is and why it’s important.

What is the Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?
The Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is an official document issued by the Japanese Immigration Bureau. It verifies that the applicant meets the requirements for a specific status of residence in Japan. The COE is not a visa but a prerequisite for obtaining one. It simplifies the visa application process at a Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country.

Why Do You Need a COE?
The COE is required for several types of long-term visas, including work visas, student visas, and dependent visas. It serves as preliminary approval from the Japanese government, indicating that you qualify for the intended visa. Without a COE, applying for a long-term visa can be challenging and time-consuming.

How to Apply for a COE?

  1. Determine Your Visa Type: Before applying, identify the type of visa you need, such as a work visa, student visa, or family visa. Each visa category has specific requirements.
  2. Find a Sponsor in Japan: To apply for a COE, you must have a sponsor in Japan, such as an employer, school, or family member. Your sponsor will submit the application on your behalf to the Immigration Bureau.
  3. Prepare Required Documents: Collect the necessary documents, which may include your passport, photographs, and supporting documents like employment contracts, admission letters, or proof of relationship.
  4. Submit the Application: Your sponsor will submit the COE application to the regional Immigration Bureau in Japan. The processing time can vary but typically takes 1-3 months.
  5. Receive the COE: Once approved, the COE will be sent to your sponsor, who will then forward it to you.

Using the COE to Obtain a Visa
After receiving the COE, you can apply for a visa at the Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country. You’ll need to submit the COE along with your visa application form, passport, photographs, and any additional documents required by the embassy or consulate.

Important Points to Remember
The COE is valid for three months from the date of issue. Ensure you apply for your visa and enter Japan within this period.
Keep the original COE safe, as you’ll need to present it when entering Japan.

InJavi "InJavi" is a website that provides information for foreigners to enjoy life and visit in Japan more smoothly. This website is easy to use even for first-timers to Japan and those who are not very good at Japanese, and supports multiple languages. 「InJavi」は、外国人が日本の生活や観光をよりスムーズに楽しむための情報を提供するウェブサイトです。 初めて日本を訪れる方や日本語が苦手な方でも使いやすい、多言語対応サイトです。