About the special skill mode in Japan? How to switch from student visa to special skills visa
In Japan, the "Specified Skilled Worker" visa was introduced in 2019 to attract foreign workers to industries with labor shortages.
This visa is divided into two categories: Specified Skilled Worker Type 1 and Type 2, with different requirements for each category.
To switch from a student visa to a Specified Skilled Worker visa in Japan, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a valid passport and residency card.
- Meet the age, work experience, and educational requirements for the category of Specified Skilled Worker visa you wish to apply for.
- Pass a Japanese language proficiency test to demonstrate your ability to communicate in Japanese.
- Obtain a job offer from a Japanese company that is authorized to employ foreign workers under the Specified Skilled Worker program.
- Have a certificate of eligibility (COE) issued by the Immigration Bureau of Japan based on the job offer and other application materials.
Once you have met these requirements, you can apply for a change of status of residence from your current student visa to a Specified Skilled Worker visa. The application process involves submitting the required documents and completing an interview with an immigration officer.
It is important to note that the application process for the Specified Skilled Worker visa in Japan can be complex and time-consuming. It may be helpful to seek the advice of an immigration lawyer or other qualified professional to guide you through the process and ensure that you meet all of the necessary requirements.